For whatever reason, eyelash extensions aftercare seems to be a very controversial topic. I’ve seen many lash pages on Instagram advising their current and future clients on how often to clean their lashes, as well as the best ways to take care of them. I’ve had many clients over the years tell me their past lash artist told them to never get their lashes wet, or never give them an actual guide to care for their new extensions. I’ve even worked on other lash artists, to whom I’ve told them how to care their lashes, but then in turn tell their clients otherwise. To be honest, I feel as though eyelash extensions aftercare is common sense for the most part, but you know how to saying goes…common sense is not so common! Here are a few tips to take care of your lashes to prolong the time you have them and maintain that fresh set of lashes look!
1. Assuming your artist has used the right adhesive to apply your lashes, WASH THEM TWICE A DAY!!!!! I can’t emphasize this enough. Please wash them twice a day. In another blog post, I will explain the importance of this.
2. If your lashes were not cured by your artist, then wait 24 hours before getting them wet.
3. If your lashes were cured, then rule number two does not apply to you. You can get them wet immediately after if you chose to.
4. Don’t sleep on them! If you’re a side sleeper or a face sleeper, then you will risk popping off your fresh set of lashes. My suggestion is to tuck your pillow at the side of your cheek or even sleep on your back if you can, to help prolong the life of your lashes.
5. No oil. If you’re already a client of mine, then you’ve heard me say it before; oil is the enemy of lashes! Avoid using oil based products, such as, moisturizers for your face and hair, cleansers for your lashes and face, sunblock, etc. as they will loosen the adhesive and slide your lash extensions right off.
6. No heat! Try to not have your face right above your hot stove, sit in a sauna for too long, blow dry your hair on a high heat, or use your curling iron/straightener right beside your lashes. Your extensions are synthetic and will scorch in extreme heat. If they get scorched, they may turn white, lose their curl, get hard, and fall off prematurely.
7. Do not, and I repeat DO